Monday, August 23, 2010

Welcome Banner

I made a banner that says "Welcome" to display at my school.  I wanted to hang it in the hallway (students start after labor day) but didn't have the heart to do it the day the custodian finished washing the walls!  I'll hang it next week.  I tried to get a picture of the whole banner as it was out on the circulation desk.  I took a close up of one of the pennants so you can see the detail.  Okay, so for the "recipe" to this project...I used my gypsy and the base (yellow) was cut on a 12 x 24 mat.  Only four fit on a mat, cut at 9 inches high.  The yellow paper is laminated bulletin board paper (it's very thin and tears in the cricut if it isn't laminated).
The red scalloped ovals are scalloped circles from Mini Monograms with some changes to the size.  I had to unlink the width and height button and make the width narrow to get the oval shape.  the final size was 3.4 width and 5.2 height.  It was very handy to do each element on a different layer so I could get the proper sizes.  The letters are cut from Jasmine with the oval feature.  The measurements 2.66 width and 6.09 height.  Both the red and light blue paper are construction paper from school I had laminated knowing they were to be cut using the circut.  I haven't found a good setting to cut construction paper not laminated.   The purple lace looking boarder to the pennants was made by using my Fiskars border punch lacy days of summer (I thought it appropriate for the end of summer! heehee).  The deep purple paper is from a friend who had a box of scraps she received from a family she did some tutoring with the son, she shared the wealth and gave me a bunch of the papers (lots of diff. colors and sizes!).  The ribbon the pennents are stung on was found in the dollar spot at Target with scrapbook supplies, it took two pieces, which are three yards each.  I tied a bow on each end with the ribbon then strung it through the holes.  Everything was adhered together with Tombo permanent adhesive.  I think this will be a cheerful greeting for the students when the arrive at school!

No comments: