Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cricle Blog challeng #21

This week's challenge was to use two cuts and to have an animal, or something for an animal.
I'm the animal that needed a case for sunglasses, oh okay, I did use an owl on the design. I found a pattern on the internet to sew a case for glasses then went digging through my fabric stash. I found some old jeans and left over flannel fabric with an owl print. Perfect!

I cut the two needed pieces from the fabrics then decided to make a stencil with vinyl and my Cricut. I first cut an owl from Give a Hoot at 3" (page 28) then a pair of sunglasses from Groovy Times (pg 55 shift) at 1 3/4 inches. for the owl, I made a stencil by removing the actual cut out so the remaining outside stuff is the stencil. I stuck the vinyl onto the jeans piece of fabric and used a brayer to really get the edges down. Then I used the sunglasses cut and put them where I thought the owl eyes would be, and again made sure it was adhered well using a brayer. The fabric was dark so I put a layer of yellow fabric paint on first, after that was dry I mixed some colors to get a green that was close to the lining (flannel) fabric. I let it all dry over night then stitched the sunglasses case together. After finishing the sewing I realized it would be better to have an image on the "front" of the case. So, out came the vinyl and this time I cut the sunglasses (again from GT pg 55, shift) at 2" real dial size.
I used some golden yellow fabric paint and filled in the image. Let it dry. I used some Viva decor pens to jazz up the shades, Glass Effect Gel for the glint lines and star, mimicking the picture in the book, and outlined the shades with Lilac Pearl Pen.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I just love what you come up with, you're so creative.Great project, i love how the owl with the shades turned out.